Pound cake is one of my absolute favorite desserts. At my wedding, instead of traditional wedding cake, we served a bunch of pound cakes. We had lemon, berry, chocolate, vanilla... you name it, we had it. And for my birthday, I always request a pound cake and eat the leftovers for breakfast the next day. I really do love it.
This recipe is perfect for the last lazy days of summer. Dense and lemon-y, it is meant for a rainy afternoons with a warm mug of tea. I whipped one up the other day at my mom's and it was gone in a few hours. The texture is somewhere between cake and quick bread. The lemon gives it a slight tang to even out the sweetness. The thing I love about this recipe is that is gluten-free and that it only requires 4 eggs and 1 cup of butter, which for pound cake is pretty darn good.
Lemon Pound Cake
Click here for a printable recipe!
2 cups raw sugar
1 cup salted butter, melted
4 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups gluten-free flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons lemon zest (about 1 small lemon)
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
Yields: 2 Loaves
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 8X4 inch loaf pans. Line each pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides.
2. In a stand mixer, beat sugar and melted butter at a low speed until creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and blend well. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and lemon zest. In a glass measuring cup, mix lemon juice and milk.
4. Slowly, alternate adding flour and milk to butter mixture at a low speed until batter is well blended.
5. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
6. While cake is baking, whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl to create glaze. After cakes have been transferred to cooling rack, spoon glaze over cake. Let cool an additional 10 minutes. Serve. Cake will keep for 2 days in an airtight container.