One of the biggest challenges of working is creating healthy, fast weeknight meals. Sometimes, it's just easier to order take-out or pick something up on the way home. Even freezer meals start to look appealing after a long day. However, this spunky meal defies exhaustion. With simple ingredients and quick prep, orange ginger chicken is one of my go-to meals. A few nights a month, I'll whip this up after work and Jason and i never seem to grow weary of it.
Soy sauce, grated ginger, orange marmalade, and honey blend to create a light, zesty marinade. The seared chicken is tender and packed with flavor. Steamed broccoli, snow peas, and peppers add the finishing touch.
If you are gluten-free, be sure to use La Choy Soy Sauce or San-J Organic Tamari Soy Sauce. I like La Choy cause it is cheap and tastes a little on the salty side... Plus, it's fun to say, La CHOY. But, I think the San-J is better for you. :)
Orange Ginger Chicken
Click here for a printable recipe!
1/4 cup soy sauce (Be sure to use La Choy if you are GF.)
2 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 chicken breasts
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Generous handful of snow peas
1/4 cup bell peppers, chopped
1/2 broccoli florets
1 cup brown rice, cooked
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
1. Place first 8 ingredients in food processor. Blend until well mixed. Pour marinade over chicken. Let sit 4-8 hours.
2. Remove chicken breasts and cut into long thin pieces. Return to marinade. Over medium high heat, warm remaining sesame oil in a wok or frying pan. Add chicken and remaining marinade. Sear meat until cooked. About 4-6 minutes.
3. Add vegetables. Stir fry for about a minute. Then, place a lid on pan and turn heat to medium-low. Let veggies steam until soft. About 2-3 minutes.
4. Pile stir fry onto rice with a bit of the sauce and bam! Dinner is done.
5. Kick off your heels and curl up on the couch with a warm bowl of orange ginger chicken.